Thursday, October 10, 2013

“Paleo style” Chicken

So I’ve been seeing a chiropractor for about a month now to help deal with my ongoing rheumatoid arthritis pain, that’s another post all together. During my first visit he suggested that I try to change some of the foods that I’ve been eating and to drink more water, which I’m horrible at.

He gave me 2 gallon jugs of ionized alkaline / acidic water  with unlimited access to their filter during business hours and made a few food suggestions: less red meat, more veggies and try gluten free foods. My hubby called it Paleo style and I had no idea what that meant so I looked it up.

Turns out this “diet” is based on eating like our pre-agricultural, hunter-gatherer ancestors and it’s said to “slow or reverse progression of an autoimmune disease” along with a bunch of other health benefits. Right then I said "let’s give it a try."

Here’s my first Dr. Wayne approved “Paleo style” meal (easy peasy)


Chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces and seasoned)
2-3 Carrots (sliced)
A bunch of Green Beans (cut of the tips and cut in half)
Broccoli spears (Keep as much or as little of the stalk as you like)

2 Bell peppers (sliced, color doesn’t matter)


A bunch of mushrooms (sliced)
Olive Oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

I use a wok for this dish but that’s only because I like to pretend I know how to stir it like a professional J

Start by heating the oil and cooking the chicken until it begins to brown
Throw in the carrots and the green beans and lightly season the veggies while they cook
Place a lid on the pan and let it sit for about 5 minutes
Throw in the broccoli, mushrooms and the peppers. Lightly season this layer and then stir. Place the lid back over the pan for about 5-7 minutes
Remove the lid and you will see that the veggies will have begun to soften and that a bit of liquid has started to form on the bottom of the pan (note: I don’t like limp broccoli or peppers so I don’t cook them down that much).
Turn up the heat just a bit and stir for a few minutes while the liquid evaporates from the pan. If you like your chicken with a bit of broth, don’t turn up the heat and after you stir it put the lid back on.
This can be served over white rice or pasta (NOT Paleo recommended foods) or by itself.
Enjoy!

Niki
 (If you'd like to read more about me visit my post on A Bit About Me).
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment